I started the 5 Things for Me challenge last week with what appears to be simple goals, but what may look simple to one person, is another person’s challenge to execute. As we all know, being a mom sometimes means putting yourself dead last on the list of ‘to do’s.” I made it my mission to change that in small steps this past week, and mostly, I was successful.
1. Continue my 10 week challenge through Beachbody. Update: Goal accomplished! Normally, if I do things correctly, I have Saturday and Sunday off but in order to play catch-up, I had to add Saturday which I did without complaining too much.
2. Order my vanilla Shakeology. Update: Goal accomplished. My Beachbody rep was even able to drop some singles off at my house so that I wouldn’t be without my Shakeology another day.
3. Use my $49 in Sports Authority bucks and a 20% off coupon on new walking/running shoes. Update: Uhhh…no. Spent so much time shopping for kids’ back-to-school clothes and shoes that I couldn’t take one more step into a store. Goal has been moved to the top of the list for this week.
4. Drink at least 5 glasses of water per day. Update: goal accomplished on some days and not on others. This goal will remain on the list.
5. Take a night off from making dinner. Update: oh, yeah, goal accomplished. This one was easy. In fact, we went out to dinner twice this week. Booyah. And I am very grateful for the break.
What I noticed about myself during this campaign to do 5 Things for Me is that the items on my list moved to the forefront of my mind, and I had a need to accomplish my goals. No more putting me at the bottom, some small things got moved to the top. Look out, baby, maybe mama will have more energy if she takes care of herself!
So, for this week’s 5 Things for Me list, I need to keep doing 4 out of the 5 items just because it’s the healthy thing to do. I could stop there and just add one more thing but that’s cheating (and boring) so I’m going to launch a whole other list.
1. Use my freakin’ Massage Envy gift certificate from Mother’s Day. Yes, I have an hour and a half massage (with tip included) gift certificate that I have not yet used, and it’s nearly 4 months since Mother’s Day. Time to make the appointment for Friday night and follow-through.
2. Order lunches for my daughter from Ki’s. I have made lunches for my kids (and others) for 18 years. I am seriously over it. I can order an organic, nutritious, non-GMO and tasty meal from a local lunch program, so I’m going to treat myself to a once a week break from making lunch for one child.
3. Rent a chick flick. Anytime my husband sees that I’m watching something “horrible” (CF), he comments, bitches, whines, and moans about it until I turn it off. So stupid since we have 2 TVs. But this week, I’m not going to cave. I’m going to watch something awful — the chick flickier the better.
4. Go to bed at 10 p.m. I am going to go to bed at a reasonable hour. For the last couple of weeks I have been going to bed between midnight and 2 a.m. and then getting up early because I can’t sleep through the daylight coming through the blinds. I am running on fumes here (dozing off now as I think about going to the store for more ingredients…yawn).
5. Get my blood work done. My doctor ordered some blood tests about 3 or 4 weeks ago. Have I gone? Well, no, duh, it wouldn’t have made it to this list if I had. That is my number one goal: find out where I’m supposed to go and then go.
Well, that’s it for this week. How about you? Do any of these goals resonate with you? Why not join in the fun and share with SemperFiMomma and me what 5 Things You’re Going to do for yourself (#5Things4Me) on your own blog, and then post a link on SemperFiMomma’s blog. Let me know that you did so I can go steal your ideas for next week — I mean, ahem, read what you wrote.
Until next week, I’ll see you at the goal line!