Yeah, I’m a week behind in my #5Things4Me challenge. Why? Because I have such a hard time doing things for myself, and it’s not as if I don’t want to, it’s just that I get tired, busy, or stretched way too thin so the things that I’ve set aside for me get pushed off the daily agenda. Typical mom and housewife mantra, right?
For example, in my last #5Things4Me post, I only managed to do 1, 3, and 5, and if I’m really honest with you, I did number 3 a day late. I usually give myself to Monday to complete my goals but I snuck in the original blog post on Tuesday. So sue me. But I am very proud that I increased my weights. I can now do 10 lb. weights very easily and have been doing them for the past two weeks. My next increase will be to 12 lbs.
This week may be a wee bit harder to do stuff for me because it’s my husband’s birthday and I have a couple real estate deals happening but I will do my best.
So here we go. For this week, the #5Things4Me will be to:
1. Make my own vegan dinner. I cannot force my family to become vegan but I can certainly decide for myself to be vegan. My plan is to make two dinners. Yeah, I know, it doesn’t seem like something I’m doing for myself but I really am. I made the first vegan dinner last night along with steak, mashed potatoes, and steamed broccoli. I was a little more stressed than usual making two meals but I still got it done. And because I’m actually making 4 servings of the vegan entree, I can eat the dinner I made for four more meals. Essentially, I could make two recipes and have it cover over a week. So, see? Not that hard.
2. Go to the gym 3 days this week by next Monday. I have two gym memberships. Count ’em, two. I have not been once (well, okay twice) during the past 10 weeks. In my defense, I was a participant in a 10 week challenge so I still managed to lose 2 inches off my waist during this time, and I worked out harder than I ever have before — all from the comfort of my home (more on that later), but I need the interaction with humans. I feel myself sinking down the rabbit hole of depression and this hole sucks any creativity out of me.
3. Drink my Shakeology shake seven days this week. Ah, this one is a gimme. I have been doing this for over 11 weeks. Truth be told, I’ve only missed two days in all that time. Yes, I have made and drank 75 shakes. Big number!! I need one gimme, though, one thing on my list that I am sure to do that is just for me.
4. Write an original blog post. Yes, this has made it to my list again because I can get in a rut so easily and just do the bare minimum. I was writing a book but after visiting with an old friend last week, I think this is a story that doesn’t need to be told. Sad but true. I will think of another book to write, though. In fact, I think I have one…
5. Donate a set monthly amount to Dr. Greger. Dr. Greger sends a video three times a week. I always watch them which is remarkable because there are so few videos I have the patience to sit through. Dr. Greger’s are informative and are all about nutrition and health. They are short, sweet, and very funny. I am doing this for myself because I want his work to continue. He provides me with the education I need to make better food choices.
Well, that’s it for this week. How about you? Do any of these goals resonate with you? Why not join in the fun and share with SemperFiMomma and me what 5 Things You’re Going to do for yourself (#5Things4Me on Twitter) on your own blog, and then post a link on SemperFiMomma’s blog. Let me know that you did so I can go steal your ideas for next week — I mean, ahem, read what you wrote.
7 thoughts on “#5Things4 Me — September 23, 2013”
Great list… good luck!
So far, so good. Making progress on the list, but of course it’s Monday and I always seem to be super motivated on Mondays.
By Friday, we’re eating pasta with red sauce and I’m in my sweatpants all day…
Everyone needs a “gimme” every once in awhile. And congrats on losing 2 inches – that is fantastic! I have to find something to motivate me to get on some kind of healthy exercise routine – I saw the least flattering picture of myself last night and cringed.
That is what got me through this routine — I saw a picture of myself and couldn’t believe I had let myself get that way. I thought that walking Pearl between 12-15 miles per week would keep the weight off but it didn’t although who knows where I’d be if I didn’t have that?!
I love that you do this! I haven’t quite been able to get that in yet, but I bet it makes for a very balanced family!
I am doing my best to do little things to take care of me. Sometimes it’s the little things that really help a person get through the day!
Well kudos to you for getting anything done for yourself. I love your challenge to do 5 things for you, but I knew I wouldn’t be able to keep it up myself. It’s so hard when you’ve got obligations and other things eating up your “me” time. Keep up the good work.