I hope I’m on Gratitude Journal #6. I think I saw a #5 and am assuming that this is #6. So what if it isn’t? Does it really matter? I should have picked dates instead (hindsight being 20/20). In fact, that’s a better idea so I’m going to rename this blog post to today’s date and be done with worrying what number I’m on. Problem solved. I love when problems are so simple to fix.
The number of items I’m grateful for has increased over the past couple of weeks, but for this particular post, I will only focus on things I’m grateful for from the past week otherwise this post will become a book and since nobody wants to read a stranger’s personal journal anyway, it’s better to keep this short.
Top 5 Things I’m Grateful for this Week
- I had my first party in over 15 years on Saturday. I was nervous and kept checking my phone to see who was the first yes RSVP to change their minds at the last minute but only 1 person was sick so just about everyone who said they were going to come, came.
- With the party theme going, I’d like to label my party a success. Everyone seemed to have a good time and there were no awkward silences or early departures. Being that it was a wine and cheese, I thought everyone would leave by 8:30 but most stayed until 11:30 and one guest stayed to 12:15. Success!
- On Sunday, I did as close to nothing as possible after completing the insane amount of work that goes into a party. Our party was additionally stressful because I was going to be giving a whole house tour to show everyone the outcome of the remodel. So every single room had to be sparkling clean, the pictures and decorations chosen and put into place, and rooms had to be pin neat. I spent 7 hours alone cleaning on Friday and then had to do some minor touch-ups on Saturday.
- I’m so excited for my daughter to go to the school of her choice. I think that she’s going to pick one in New York City and I couldn’t be happier. How do you know when you’ve grown up? When you’re able to let go of your kids and be happy for them when they start their own lives.
- The yard is finally done and I couldn’t be happier with the outcome. The designer we chose has some serious talent to envision the plants she put together. They all go so perfectly. I am over-the-moon happy with the choice of my ‘burbling urn.’ When I chose it, Nick and I were fighting over the backyard urn. He suggested that I pick the front urn and he’d pick the back. Initially I was so mad because we spend more time out in the backyard and he had said that the yard was my project but he inserted himself into the yard plans a long time ago. I almost cried giving up my power to choose the water feature in the back but then realized I would never get anything if I didn’t give in. My husband is far more stubborn than I am. I gave up and told him I’d pick the front urn.
At the pottery store, I looked around for the 100th time searching for whatever I felt was perfect. The Mad Potter in Encinitas gets new things all the time so even though I had been there two days before, they had new pots. I found something I had never seen before and I thought it was ‘the one’ but kept walking around the yard and going back to it, unable to commit. Finally, I narrowed my choices down to a cranberry colored pot and an urn with a more neutral palette.
After what felt like a decade, I chose the more neutral one and stressed about the choice for the next five days until delivery. I even contemplated calling the Mad Potter owners and telling them I had made a mistake and to change it to the cranberry one.
On the day of its arrival, I waited impatiently for it to be put into place. To keep myself from bothering the hell out of the delivery guy, I stayed inside the house occupying my time with chores. Finally Nick yelled for me to come look and as soon as I opened the front door, I knew I had made a good choice. I cried just like they do on those HGTV shows when it’s time for the ‘big reveal.’ So very long story told very long, I’m very happy that my yard is done and everything seems to be perfectly in place.
Those are my 5 things I’m grateful for this week. What are you most grateful for?